Electronic Fund Transfer Agreement
Auburn Savings (hereafter referred to as “we,” “us,” and “our”) offers Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) services that allow you (if this is a joint account, the pronouns “you” and “your” shall include each of you) to access certain designated accounts through the use of an Automated Teller Machine (“ATM”), a Point-of-Sale (“POS”) Terminal, and our Bank by Telephone system. This agreement contains all of the terms of this electronic fund transfer program. It describes the services and types of transfers available and explains all rights and/or liabilities that may apply. Please read the entire agreement carefully. In accepting it, you hereby agree to the rules and regulations affecting the use of these services.
Your Personal Identification Numbers (“PIN”s) allow you to use our EFT services by providing you with the means to access your accounts. You are responsible for their safekeeping. You agree not to disclose these codes or otherwise make them available to anyone not authorized to access your accounts. You understand that any joint owner you authorize to use them may withdraw or transfer funds from any of your accounts. If you fail to maintain the security of these codes and we suffer a loss, we may terminate your EFT services immediately.
- You may change your ATM or Debit Card PIN:
a) at one of our branch offices,
b) by going to one of our ATMs, or
c) by calling (800) 448-8268.
- You may change your telephone PIN by dialing (888) 282-7287 and following the system prompts.
Misuse Of Services
If you exceed either your maximum daily limits or your available balance, we will collect any applicable overdraft charges and may cancel your EFT privileges. We may restrict access to your account(s) if we notice use of EFT services that we believe to be suspicious.
Electronic Check Conversion
Writing a check can result in an electronic fund transfer. This can happen in several ways. For example:
- You can purchase goods or pay for services and authorize a merchant or service provider to convert your check into an electronic fund transfer.
- At the time you offer a check to a merchant or service provider, you may be asked to authorize the merchant or service provider to electronically collect a fee in the event that the check is returned for insufficient funds. Paying such a fee electronically is an electronic fund transfer.
You authorize merchants to make these types of electronic fund transfers when you agree to the transfers orally or in writing or when you complete transactions at locations where the possibility of such transfers has been posted. You hereby authorize us to honor such transfers, which are covered by this Agreement.
Your ATM Card, together with your PIN, can be used at ATM locations displaying the SUM, MONEYPASS, NYCE, or PLUS logos. You may designate up to two (2) accounts [statement savings, checking, or money market statement accounts] for this service. At the present time, you may use your ATM Card to:
- Deposit funds to your designated accounts at our 256 Court Street, Auburn, and 325 Sabattus Street, Lewiston, locations.
- Withdraw funds from your designated accounts.
- Transfer funds from your designated accounts.
- Obtain balance information for your designated accounts.
- There is no limit on the number of deposits, cash withdrawals, or transfers you may make in any one day.
- For your protection, the total amount of cash you may withdraw is limited to $300 per day per card. (Higher limits may be available with bank approval.)
- Withdrawals or transfers from an account may not exceed the available balance in that account.
Your Debit MasterCard®, together with your PIN, can be used to perform all of the ATM functions listed above, as well as to perform debit functions to purchase goods or services at POS (Point-of-Sale) terminals that display the MASTERCARD, Cirrus, Maestro, MONEYPASS, SUM, NYCE, or PLUS logos. Up to two accounts [statement savings or checking] may be designated for Debit MasterCard® service. However, since POS transactions are deducted from checking accounts only, at least one of your designated accounts must be a checking account. At the present time, you may use your Auburn Savings Debit MasterCard® to:
- Perform all of the ATM functions listed above.
- Engage in POS transactions to purchase goods or services at merchants that accept MasterCard.
- Order goods or services by mail, telephone, or the Internet from places that accept MasterCard.
- There is no limit on the number of ATM deposits, cash withdrawals, or transfers, or of POS debit transactions you may make in any one day.
- For your protection, the total amount of ATM cash withdrawals is limited to $500, and total debit purchase transactions are limited to $1,500, per day per card. (Higher limits may be available with bank approval.)
Transactions may not exceed the available balance in your designated account(s).
Bank by Telephone System
Your access code can be used to access by telephone any account you have with Auburn Savings. At the present time, you may use your code to:
- Transfer funds from one deposit account to another.
- Make loan payments.
- Obtain balance and transaction information.
- There is no limit on the number of transfers you may make in any one day. However, debit transfers from savings and money market accounts must not exceed the federal 6-per-month limit for those types of accounts, as disclosed on our Truth in Savings disclosures. Auburn Savings reserves the right to refuse any transaction that violates the regulatory limit.
- Transfers from an account may not exceed the available balance in that account.
Electronic check conversion
You may authorize a merchant or other payee to make a one-time electronic payment from your checking account using information from your check to pay for purchases or to pay bills.
Fees and Charges
Please see our current Schedule of Fees and Charges for current ATM/POS charges. Any ATM transaction or inquiry will be subject to the current fee(s). If you lose your ATM or Debit MasterCard, you will be charged a replacement fee.
Fees may be imposed for overdrafts as permitted by applicable law and according to our Schedule of Fees and Charges. Such fees are referred to as “Overdraft (paid)” fees on our Schedule of Fees and Charges. Please refer to that schedule for a list of charges that may apply to your account(s).
If you use an ATM that is not operated by us, you may be charged a fee by the ATM operator and by any national, regional, or local network used in processing the transaction or the balance inquiry. The ATM surcharge will be debited from your account if you elect to complete the transaction or the inquiry. Please refer to the disclosures at the terminal for fee information.
Receipt – Each time you use an ATM and/or a POS terminal, you will receive a receipt unless you choose not to receive a receipt or the system is not working properly. Some terminals may not provide a receipt for ATM or POS transactions of $15 or less.
Monthly Statement – You will receive a monthly statement containing activity on each non-passbook deposit account you have designated for electronic fund transfer. For a passbook savings account, if you bring your passbook to us, we will record any electronic transfers that were made to your account since the last time you brought in your passbook.
You are responsible for all transactions you authorize using your EFT Services covered by this Agreement. If you permit someone else to use an EFT service, your Card or your PIN, you are responsible for any transactions they authorize or conduct on any of your accounts.
ATM/Debit Card and Bank by Telephone
Tell us at once if you believe your ATM/Debit card or PIN has been lost or stolen, or if you believe that an electronic fund transfer has been made without your permission using information from your check. Telephoning us immediately is the best possible way of keeping your losses at a minimum. You could lose all of the money in your account(s) plus your maximum overdraft Line of Credit. If you notify us within two (2) business days, you can lose no more than FIFTY DOLLARS ($50) if someone has accessed your account(s) without your permission.
If you do not tell us within two (2) business days after you learn of the loss or theft, and we can prove that we could have stopped someone from using the card, the PIN, or User ID/Password without your permission if you had told us, you could lose as much as FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).
Also, if your statement shows transfers that you did not make, including those made by card, code or other means, tell us at once. If you do not notify us within sixty (60) days after the statement was mailed or delivered electronically to you, you may not get back any money you lost after the sixty (60) days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money if you had notified us in time. If a good reason (such as a long trip or a hospital stay) kept you from telling us, we will extend the above time periods.
The rule applies to all transactions conducted with a MasterCard® branded card, including PIN-based POS and ATM transactions:
You will not be held responsible for unauthorized transactions when you use your ATM/Debit MasterCard as long as you have used reasonable care in protecting your card from loss or theft and have promptly reported the loss or theft to us. However:
- If the loss is not reported within two (2) business days of discovery, you could lose up to $500.00.
- If the unauthorized transaction is not reported within sixty (60) days of when the unauthorized transaction was reported on a periodic statement, you may not get back any money you lost after the sixty (60) days.
If you believe that your card or PIN has been lost or stolen, or that someone has transferred or may transfer money from your account(s) without permission, call us at 207-782-6871, or write to us at PO Box 3157 Auburn ME 04212-3157. You should also call the number or write to the address listed above if you believe a transfer has been made using the information from your check without your permission.
Our business days are Monday through Friday. Weekends and holidays are not included.
If we do not complete a transfer to or from your deposit account(s) on time or in the correct amount according to our agreement with you, we will be liable for your losses or damages. However, there are some exceptions. We will not be liable, for instance, if:
- Through no fault of ours, you do not have enough money in your account to make the transfer.
- You used the wrong Card or PIN or you used a Card or PIN in an incorrect manner.
- The ATM where you are making the transfer does not contain enough cash.
- The terminal or system was not working properly and you knew about the breakdown when you started the transfer.
- The transfer would go over the credit limit on your overdraft line.
- Circumstances beyond our control (such as fire or flood) prevent the transfer, despite the reasonable precautions we have taken.
- There is a dispute about the amount, or we have been ordered to pay to, or to hold for, someone else the money in your account(s).
- A withdrawal would consist of money deposited in the form of a check or other order that was not yet available for withdrawal.
- The telephone you used to conduct telephone transactions was not working properly, and you knew or should have known about the breakdown when you started the transaction.
- Your Card or PIN has been reported lost or stolen.
Any other exceptions stated in this agreement or in our account agreement with you will apply.
You may not stop payment of the electronic fund transfers covered by this Agreement, except for pre-authorized transfers. Therefore, you should not employ electronic access for purchases or services unless you are satisfied that you will not need to stop payment.
Information to Third Parties
Delays in Posting Transactions
Due to the nature of the electronic transfer system, there may be delays between the time of any activity on your account(s) and the time it is reflected in our records of your account(s).
Amendment to This Agreement
We may change the terms of this agreement by giving you written notice at least twenty-one (21) days prior to the effective date of the change, if the change would result in greater cost or liability for you or decreased access to your account(s). However, if the change is made for security purposes, we can implement it without giving you prior notice.
Other Agreements & Regulations
This agreement is in addition to any other agreement, rule, or regulation relating to the accounts and services that are subject to this agreement.
You may terminate this Agreement or any EFT service under this Agreement at any time by notifying us in writing and stopping your use of your Card(s) and/or PIN. You must return all Cards to us. We may also terminate this Agreement at any time by notifying you orally or in writing. Your Card(s) remains our property, and immediate surrender of it (them) may be required at any time. We reserve the right, at any time, to cancel the card(s) without notice or cause. Termination will not affect any of our rights or your obligations arising under this agreement prior to termination.
In event of any conflict between the provisions of this Agreement and any applicable law or regulation, this Agreement shall be deemed modified to the extent necessary to comply with such law or regulation.
Error Resolution Procedures
In Case of Errors or Questions About Your Electronic Transfers, Telephone us at 207-782-6871 or write us at PO Box 3157 Auburn ME 04212-3157, AS SOON AS YOU CAN if you think your statement or receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement or receipt. We must hear from you no later than sixty (60) days after we send you the FIRST statement on which the problem or error first appeared. The following information must be provided:
- a) Your name and account number.
- b) A description of the error or the transfer you are unsure about, and a clear explanation of why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
- c) The dollar amount of the suspected error.
If you tell us orally, we may require that you send us your complaint or question in writing within 10 business days.
We will determine whether an error occurred within 10 business days [five (5) days for Debit MasterCard transactions] after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to 45 days to investigate your complaint or question. If we decide to do this, we will credit your account within 10 business days [five (5) days for Debit MasterCard transactions] for the amount you think is in error so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within 10 business days, we may not credit your account. [This written notice requirement does not apply to Debit MasterCard debit transactions.]
For errors involving new account, point-of-sale, or foreign-initiated transactions, we may take up to 90 days to investigate your complaint or question. For new accounts, we may take up to 20 business days to credit your account for the amount you think is in error.
We will tell you the results within three business days after completing our investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation. You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.
E-mail transmissions through general or public E-mail are not secure. We therefore request that you NOT send us or ask for sensitive information such as account numbers or PINs through any general or public E-mail system.
You warrant and represent that the information you are providing us with is true, correct and complete.
You agree not to impersonate any person or use a name that you are not authorized to use.
You agree to promptly update your registration records if your e-mail address or other information changes.
Default and Indemnification
In accepting this Agreement & Disclosure, you warrant and agree that you will not use these EFT services to make or facilitate any illegal or unlawful transaction(s) as determined by applicable law, and that any such use, including any such authorized use, will constitute an event of default under this Agreement. You agree that we will not have any liability, responsibility, or culpability whatsoever for any such use by you or by any authorized user(s). We may decline to authorize any transaction that we believe to be suspicious in nature. You agree to indemnify and hold us harmless from any lawsuits, liability, damages, or adverse action of any kind that results directly or indirectly from such action.